Eagan School Opens for Kids With Autism | News
A school in Eagan which opened this week claims it can help children with autism in ways no other school in the country can.
The Minnesota Autism Center has provided therapy for children with autism for 17 years. On Tuesday, it opened its first school.
According to Executive Director Kathryn Marshall, it is the only school in the nation which provides behavioral programs, special education programs, applied behavioral analysis and one-on-one behavioral therapists throughout the school day.
Sixty-four students are currently enrolled in the school. That number is expected to rise to 80 this fall when more staff is hired, and there is a waiting list.
According to the Department of Education, the number of students diagnosed with some sort of autism in Minnesota more than quadrupled between 2001 and 2010.
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Woman Airlifted with Severe Burns after Escaping House Fire in Sherburne Co.
- 23-Year-Old Man Dies in Suspected Drowning in Sherburne County
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities