Lakeville Schools Celebrate New iPad Announcement | News
The Lakeville School District is celebrating Apple's announcement Wednesday about the new iPad. But it's not the sharper image or extended battery life they are excited about, in fact, it's not even the new iPad... it is the older version, the iPad2 they are giddy about.
The new iPad goes on sale next Friday, March 16 and will sell for the current price of $499. The news Lakeville district official are celebrating is that the iPad2 will still be available and the price will be dropped $100 to $399.
District officials say the news will allow them to buy an additional 500 iPad2s for the new iLearn 194 program, bringing the total to roughly 1900 iPad2s.
The iLearn 194 program is a new initiative aimed at integrating digital tools and learning resources into the classroom. The digital tools, such as the iPad2s, will be made available to teachers and students who apply for a grant. 25 grants affecting 84 staff members and more thank 1500 students have been awarding so far. Wednesday's announcement will allow for even more to participate.
The money for the grants is coming from a one-time Basic Skills Funding from the state of Minnesota, as well as the reallocation of some textbook and technology funding.
The district will be holding parent information meetings on the iLearn 194 program beginning the week of March 19th. The sessions begin at 6:30pm and will last about one hour.
They will be held at:
* Elementary parents - March 20, 2012 at Cherry View Elementary School Commons, 8600 175th Street West, Lakeville
* Middle school parents - March 19, 2012 at Century Middle School IMC, 18610 Ipava Avenue, Lakeville
* High school parents - March 22, 2012 at Lakeville South High Lecture Hall, 21135 Jacquard Avenue, Lakeville.
For more information log onto http://www.isd194.k12.mn.us or call 952-232-2037.
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Crews to Work Longer Days on Lowertown Ballpark
- Let's Play Hockey Expo at St. Paul's RiverCentre
- Portion of I-35E in St. Paul to Close for Bridge Removal, MnPASS Project
- Expect Delays on I-35E in St. Paul, Maplewood with Left Lane Closures in March
- St. Paul Elem. School Temporarily Shuts Down after Student Discovered with Dummy Grenade
- High Hopes for Minn. Medical Marijuana Supporters
- Dramatic Dash Cam Video: Elk River Home Invasion Suspects Lead Officers on Wrong-Way Chase
- Minn. Boy Rescued from Snow Tunnel: 'I Closed My Eyes and Prayed'
- RAW VIDEO: Rogers Police Dash Cam Video from Wrong Way Chase Following Home Invasion
- Rogers Student Suspension Raises Issue of Social Media Consequences