MAP: Minn. Municipal Liquor Store Report | News
State Auditor Rebecca Otto released the 2010 Analysis of Municipal Liquor Store Operations Tuesday. The report provides comparative data on liquor operations owned and operated by Minnesota cities.
Data for municipal liquor stores across the state is shown in the interactive map below. The full report is available below the map.
Minnesota municipalities were originally authorized to own and operate liquor establishments as a means of controlling the sale of alcohol, the auditor's office says.
In greater Minnesota, municipal liquor operations provide access and convenience in areas that may be unable to attract a privately run business. Additionally, profitable municipal liquor operations have provided another source of revenues to supplement traditional tax and fee revenues.
In 2010, 209 Minnesota cities operated 242 municipal liquor stores, with 116 cities operating both on-sale and off-sale liquor establishments and 93 cities restricting their municipally owned establishments to off-sale liquor stores, according to the auditor's office. While the majority of municipally-owned liquor stores are located in greater Minnesota, 19 cities within the seven-county metro area own and operate liquor establishments.
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Water Levels Remain High on Lake Minnetonka, Prior Lake
- Burglars Climb through Ceiling, Cut Walls to Steal from Waconia Verizon Store
- Protesters Call for Peace in St. Paul after Woman's Death
- St. Paul Mayor Calls for Public Discussion on Budget Gap
- Good Samaritan Helps Rescue Bus Driver from Fiery Crash in Roseville
- 2nd Burglary this Week Reported on Pike Lake Drive in New Brighton
- Woman Killed in St. Paul Motor Scooter Crash was Local Singer
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand