Do Your Homework Before Starting Any Outdoor Projects | News
This is the time of year when people are itching to get outside and start some outdoor projects, whether it is planting, adding a fence or deck or making repairs. But before you start any projects be sure to check with the city first. Many people don't realize there are easements on their property, permit requirements and City policies that regulate what can and can't be done in certain areas.
Your first step in the project should be to check out your city website for information on building inspections and permits, easement encroachments, tree and landscaping permits and placement guidelines, and fencing policies and permits. You should also be able to find contact numbers for the various City departments that oversee these areas.
Once you have the go-ahead from the City, the next step should checking for underground utilities. You can have them marked by visiting www.gopherstateonecall.org or by calling 811 or 651-454-0002 at least 48 hours before you want to start your project.
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marijuana Debate Continues with another Capitol Rally
- Clergy Members, Doctors Voice Support for Medical Marijuana Legalization
- Ramsey Co. Sheriff's Office Warns of Caller Impersonating Deputy
- 3M Receives Energy Award for 10th Consecutive Year, Hosts Earth Day Celebration
- Lafayette Bridge Construction to Close Sections of I-94 This Weekend
- Minn. Dept. of Commerce Works to Protect Senior Citizens from Fraud
- Severe Weather Awareness Week: Dave Dahl Talks Thunderstorms
- 'Minnesota Nice' in Elk River Helps a Motorcyclist in the Ice
- 2 Acres Burn in Elk River Grass Fire, Officials Investigate Cause
- Bachmann Says She is 'Going to Different Perch'