Farmington Students Join 'Yellow Ribbon' Campaign | News
Hundreds of Minnesota National Guard soldiers will be returning home over the next couple months. However, many others will continue current deployments or begin new ones. The families of those veterans are about to start getting help from a new and energetic source: High school students.
Farmington High School is the first to form a student "Yellow Ribbon" chapter, an offshoot of the popular "Beyond the Yellow Ribbon" campaign that has chapters throughout Minnesota.
Students will soon begin helping the families of veterans with a variety of tasks -- ranging from babysitting to grocery shopping to mowing lawns.
Senior Andy Morris and junior Brad Dow head up the committee. Not surprisingly, both plan military careers. Morris will head off to Marine Corps boot camp in July, and Dow will join the Minnesota National Guard.
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AAA Report Shows Decline in Gas Prices from 2013
- Cone Zone: Construction Projects Kicking Off This Week
- Carver Co. Considers New Way to Keep Aquatic Invasive Species From Spreading
- Cone Zone: Lane Closures will Snarl Traffic in South Metro this Weekend
- Community Mourns Monticello Doctor who Died in Weekend Motorcycle Crash
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand