Columbia Heights PD Honors Man with Citizen's Award of Commendation | People
The Columbia Heights Police Department honored a citizen Monday for his role in catching a burglar.
Robert Shanowat was recognized at the Hilltop City Council meeting for his heroic acts on June 21, 2012.
According to police, Shanowat witnessed a burglary in progress and called 911, giving detailed descriptions of the suspect vehicle and criminal activities. He also told police that the home had been set on fire.
Police were able to catch the suspect with the help of Shanowat. Because of his actions, he was given the CHPD Citizen's Award of Commendation this week.
Photo courtesy of Columbia Heights
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Chanhassen Approves Ordinance to Reduce Sex Trafficking at Massage Businesses
- Holiday Shoppers in West Suburbs can Take Public Transportation to MOA
- Minnesota-based 3D Printer Giants Gear Up for Patent Battle
- Carver County Kicks Off Program Aimed at Helping its Veterans
- Chanhassen Man Dies After Sunday Morning Crash
- Groundbreaking Held for Housing and Job Training Initiative in St. Paul
- Suspect Involved in St. Paul Chase Charged with Fleeing an Officer, 2nd Degree Murder
- Fire Breaks Out at House on Edmund Ave. in St. Paul
- Death of Baby Boy in St. Paul Under Investigation
- No Decision on Extradition from Minn. in Iowa Murder Arrest
- DPS Issues Warning in Wake of Winter Driving Deaths
- Snow Totals Could Reach 20 Inches in NE Minnesota
- St. Cloud Police: Juveniles Asking Businesses for Donations Steal Employee Belongings
- City of Elk River Accepting Applications for On-Call Fire Fighters
- City of Elk River Starts Winter Restricted Parking