Columbia Heights PD Honors Man with Citizen's Award of Commendation | People
The Columbia Heights Police Department honored a citizen Monday for his role in catching a burglar.
Robert Shanowat was recognized at the Hilltop City Council meeting for his heroic acts on June 21, 2012.
According to police, Shanowat witnessed a burglary in progress and called 911, giving detailed descriptions of the suspect vehicle and criminal activities. He also told police that the home had been set on fire.
Police were able to catch the suspect with the help of Shanowat. Because of his actions, he was given the CHPD Citizen's Award of Commendation this week.
Photo courtesy of Columbia Heights
Upcoming Events near Dakota County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marijuana Debate Continues with another Capitol Rally
- Clergy Members, Doctors Voice Support for Medical Marijuana Legalization
- Ramsey Co. Sheriff's Office Warns of Caller Impersonating Deputy
- 3M Receives Energy Award for 10th Consecutive Year, Hosts Earth Day Celebration
- Lafayette Bridge Construction to Close Sections of I-94 This Weekend
- Minn. Dept. of Commerce Works to Protect Senior Citizens from Fraud
- Severe Weather Awareness Week: Dave Dahl Talks Thunderstorms
- 'Minnesota Nice' in Elk River Helps a Motorcyclist in the Ice
- 2 Acres Burn in Elk River Grass Fire, Officials Investigate Cause
- Bachmann Says She is 'Going to Different Perch'